The one general characteristic of all-American pioneer settlements is the early attention which is always paid to schools. Almost as soon as the first acre is cleared and planted, and protection against starvation secured, measures are set on foot to secure the means of instruction for their children.
The first school-house erected in the town was located near the Atchinson settlement. Its first teacher was Alpheus Madden, in 1804, eight years subsequent to the date of settlement. Prior to this, however, Daniel Arnold, a surveyor, taught school in a log house built and owned by Bezaleel Atchinson, that stood a few rods north of his first residence. Schools were also taught in one end of the dwelling-house of Michael Beach, at Hunt’s Corners, which became the second district.
In 1810 the first frame school-house in town was erected at Parma Corners, on the site of the present one. In 1815 the first school-house in the fourth district, at Unionville, south of the Corners and west of the road, and a little later in the Cross district, at Bartlett's Corners, and the Wright district, near the Triangle. These constituted the original districts of the town, which have since been divided and subdivided as its growth and increase required.
In 1841 the location of Atchinson school-house was transferred to Parma Centre. There are at present sixteen good, substantial school-houses, pleasantly located, with extensive grounds, within the town limits, affording instruction, according to the report of the last year, to one thousand and eighty-nine pupils.
History of Monroe County, New York; With Illustrations
Descriptive Of Its Scenery, Palatial Residences,
Public Buildings, Fine Blocks, and Important Manufactories
published by J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1877